What Is a Writ of Mandate in Education Law?

In education law, a writ of mandate (also called a writ of mandamus) is a court order issued by a judge on the request of a petitioner that compels a public entity, such as a school district or a board of education, to perform an action that it has failed or refused to do. A writ of mandate can also be used to order an entity to stop doing something it is currently doing.  

A writ of mandamus can only be granted if (1) there is no adequate alternative remedy available, (2) the entity has a legal duty to perform the action or cease, and (3) the petitioner has a legal right for the action to be performed or ceased. When such circumstances are met, a judge may grant the petition for writ of mandate. 

How do I file a writ of mandate?

The specific process for obtaining this type of legal redress will vary depending on where you live. However, in general, the process for filing a writ of mandate involves two stages: (1) the exhaustion of administrative remedies and (2) the request for a writ of mandate.

Before you can file a request for a writ of mandate in a court, you must first exhaust all available administrative remedies. This means you must take every opportunity to appeal an agency decision provided by that agency’s administrative processes before you can take your case to court. You also usually won’t be able to request a writ of mandate be ordered for an issue that you did not raise during the administrative hearing and appeals process. 

Once you have exhausted all of your administrative remedies, you can file a petition for a writ of mandate in court. Along with your petition, which outlines the reasons you are requesting the writ, a copy of the record of the administrative proceedings will also be filed for the court’s review. You cannot request a writ of mandate simply because you disagree with the decision. Instead, you must be able to prove that the hearing was not fair or that the agency abused its discretion in some way that affected the outcome. 

After reviewing each side’s arguments and evidence, the court will either grant the request and order the agency to set aside the decision, or deny the writ of mandate. A writ of mandate is generally considered to be an extraordinary remedy, so it might not be the best course of action available to protect your child’s educational rights. Before making any decisions, it’s a good idea to discuss your child’s situation with a knowledgeable education attorney.

When should I contact an education lawyer?

If your child is having issues in school that involve a legal hearing, such as expulsion, suspension, or IEP disputes, you should contact an education lawyer immediately. It’s essential that you do not wait until after you exhaust your administrative remedies to hire an attorney. Remember, any issue you want to raise in a petition for a writ of mandate or another judicial appeal must have been considered at the administrative level. Retaining an experienced education lawyer can ensure that all relevant issues are raised and increase your likelihood of success, giving your child the best possible chance. 

Read More

Can You Sue a School District?
How Do I Sue a School for Discrimination?
Can I Sue a School for Negligence?
Can You Sue a School for Emotional Distress?
How Do I Sue an Educational Institution?

About EducationAttorney.com & RMO Lawyers

RMO LLP serves clients in San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Orange County, and communities throughout California. Our founder, Scott E. Rahn has been named “Top 100 – Trust and Estate Litigation” by SuperLawyers, Trusts and Estates Litigator of the Year, and Best Lawyers in America for Litigation – Trusts and Estates.